Friday, December 2, 2011

In the midst of the birthday run

As we celebrate our 4/6 birthday celebrations in our family (within the winter season), we receive devastating news. Before celebrating Dasha & Shami's birthday, I receive a phone call from my nephew, Tony, saying my Mami's health is not what I thought & I need to call her. So I proceed to call my Mami to clarify, what I thought, was a miscommunication. She sounds nervous & confused, but her doctor has found a lump in her throat & they think it might be cancer. I try to rationalize what she told me, but as I end the conversation I realize it is a possibility.
 The major risk factor contributing to this possibility is: the fact that although my mom doesn't smoke or drink (like me), she was around my father, who did both. My father's bad habits exposed not only my mom, but us (my brother & myself) to second hand smoke & abusive behaviors for 14 years. These experiences are the reasons I don't smoke or drink. His, my dad's, habits also are the cause for his deteriorating health he is terminally ill with liver disease & has his own family dysfunctionality (which I am not a part of).
So you see, my familial history is very complicated. These complications are the reason I valued my family so highly & when my family was broken, I became devastated. I don't want my immediate family to allow my divorce to impact them negatively. Coming from a very dysfunctional family myself, for a long time I had focused allot of energy to providing my kids a strong family base, & I did for 13 years. I hope those 13 years was good enough, & although it was not my choice to break up that family dynamic. But, it is what it is & we're moving forward the best way we can.
As for my Mami, I have to maneuver my schedule to accommodate her doctor visits, she is scheduled for surgery for Tuesday, they will be removing the abnormal growth & biopsing it- in time we will have answers, & I guess as we find out what it is, we will deal with it.
I also want to take a minute to honor national AIDS day, I want to reveal that this disease devastated my family. It stole my brother & my close cousin from me & I am very passionate about educating people about it & making it known that AIDS affects everybody & has no boundaries or preferences. Please get tested & educate yourself!
As I leave to go to work I leave you with images of my Mami, please pray for her & our family- I would greatly appreciate it!







As you can see, my mom is a very strong Hispanic lady- she has survived allot in her life. Her latest triumph was a stroke she suffered in NM, while visiting me. Although my upbringing was not the best, it's because of my Mami & her will, I am the person I am. I love her so much & when we lost my brother our bond was cemented & I will do anything for her.

2 comments: