Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Losses & Gains

Good Morning bloggers,

If you follow me on FB, then you know that my mom, after a valiant battle with Cancer, succumbed to post chemo therapy complications. And although it has been difficult accepting her passing, part of me is relieved & knows that her body & soul are resting & CA free. Not only is she no longer physically suffering she  is now in the presence of her beloved son, daughter, sisters, mom & aunties. You'll also know that she lived with me the last leg of her life & I took care of her the best way I could.
My mom always was in my ear about my work ethic, she was proud that I could provide for my family, but worried that I was working myself into an early grave. I have taken heed to her words & will remain per diem @ SBMC, part-time @ HUMC & will be undertaking the Navy Nurse reserves. It might sound like allot, but my schedule will be as follows: 1 shift per week @ SBMC, 2-3 shifts per week @ SBMC, & 1 wkd per month with the Navy Nurse reserve. The addition of the military will allow me to return to grad school & help obtain a decent mortgage for my future home. The other bonus attached to the Navy Nurse reserve, traveling, something I have longed for, for as long as I remember.
Having lost close loved ones has been devastating, but with each lost I have managed to gain certain assets; for example, with my brother's loss I gained perspective, with the loss of my kids' father I gained a monster work ethic, with the loss of my ex-husband I gained a superior level of confidence, I never knew existed in me. Now, with the loss of my mom I have gained an insurmountable amount of courage! This courage has fueled my hunger for my success, & so I mush forward with vigor & integrity.
This last loss also has allowed me to feel & witness all the love that I have planted &  has blossomed into solid, genuine relationships that I can count on. I want to thank my 4LW (HUMC) sisters & brothers for checking on me & offering me their support. I also want to show my gratitude to my work family @ SBMC. Even my family @ Rutgers & CLBC, have shown me love & support & for all these blessings I am grateful & humbled!
As I leave you this morning, I leave you with images of some of the most memorable experiences of my life. And in honor of the promises I made to my mom, I have documented them.
on my wedding day
 she was so proud of me
Leaving the hospital (on one of her many stays)
 on a day of our infamous docs run
 that killer smile, that I am proud to have inherited
 as she requested, spending time with my family
 My GA peaches came through, love them
 my lil cousins, Denise & Carmen
 another day filled of Drs. appts
 just watching TV, before I go to work
 Our last visit to the ER
 The collage my nephew & daughters made for her funeral
 she looked so peaceful
 brotherly love
 Portuguese dinner after the wake, 16 deep!
 in honor of her memory, white balloons were set free as she descended into the earth
 just how she wanted, surrounded by many flowers
 some southern comfort after the funeral ,with my nephews, sons, & my sister & her boyfriend
 as she wished, enjoying my life with people I love, my Honduran sister, Joanna
 & my cousin Robert
 as promised, made peace with my sisters
 and the legacy will continue with your grandchildren
 my lil sis & me on our way to represent our brother @ gay pride
 always outgoing & friendly, until I die
 my children as they say good bye to their abuela, with Justin
Today's quote:

No comments:

Post a Comment